WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
RobbingHood
Re: Competitive Matches

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:47 pm

himapapa wrote:What map should be used? Is Port Valdez ok for everybody?

I don't like it because it feels really unbalanced. My choice would be Laguna Alta.
But well, that will probably have to be decided via poll :P

Kerrigan

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Competitive matches are not suitable for BC2 imo.

The lack of a good anti-cheat (i mean come on: even PunkBuster is a joke) and a spectator-mode makes the entire idea quite fragile.

I think we should shift our focus to Venice Unleashed when it launches since it will feature at least a genuine spectator mode.

After that sometimes in the future the major Rome Update will follow and we'll see if it will feature an actual spectator mode then.

himapapa

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:19 pm

RobbingHood wrote:I don't like it because it feels really unbalanced. My choice would be Laguna Alta.
But well, that will probably have to be decided via poll :P

Yes, better that way imho. It really depends on how many players will take part in the end. :)

Kerrigan wrote:Competitive matches are not suitable for BC2 imo.
The lack of a good anti-cheat (i mean come on: even PunkBuster is a joke) and a spectator-mode makes the entire idea quite fragile.
I think we should shift our focus to Venice Unleashed when it launches since it will feature at least a genuine spectator mode.
After that sometimes in the future the major Rome Update will follow and we'll see if it will feature an actual spectator mode then.

Competitive matches are quite a challenge in BC2. As we see by discussing it in different ways already. Waiting for VU is one way - waiting for VU and using the time to setup something for Rome another way.

Imho it's quite obvious, that VU with the spectator mode could (will) be the more comfortable way for competitive matches. But that is only one side of the coin. As we have seen at organizing the community event (great job done by mizudg!) there are other things to do than creating the technical requirements. There are >300.000 members at the forum, but we reached just about 30 taking part at the community event (i know quality beats quantity ;) ).

So we could "practice" on Rome how to plan and arrange competitive matches and bring these experiences to VU to make it even better at times, VU will be online.

mizudg

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:20 pm

himapapa wrote:
RobbingHood wrote:Well, if that doesn't crash it... Nice idea :o

Best idea so far. :) As fas as it is working properly we just need a "neutral" uav-pilot and off we go! :D

What map should be used? Is Port Valdez ok for everybody?

Don't go off to deciding a map just yet. Just do a poll instead of waiting on deaf replies. Also, the teams haven't even been assembled, as no EN staff member (other than Robbing) has confirmed they will participate in any such activity. Not to mention we have DU4, RepZ and EN, that's still not enough. Just wait on people to get a hold of the idea and if they like it, they'll join in. RepZ said they may assemble a team if the idea is popular enough so just give it time to grow. There's a reason I scheduled the Community Event 2 weeks in advance...

TheSergeantArc

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:28 pm

himapapa wrote:
RobbingHood wrote:Well, if that doesn't crash it... Nice idea :o

Best idea so far. :) As fas as it is working properly we just need a "neutral" uav-pilot and off we go! :D

What map should be used? Is Port Valdez ok for everybody?

I am voting for Laguna Alta.

himapapa

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:48 pm

mizudg wrote:Just do a poll instead of waiting on deaf replies [...]

Easier said than done. Just tried to add a poll at the beginning of this thread - but I failed.... Too many poll options, it says. :oops:

MAGIC

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Why would you even 'vote' for a map? Just ask the clans for their 'homemap' and play...

himapapa

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:57 pm

MAGIC wrote:Why would you even 'vote' for a map? Just ask the clans for their 'homemap' and play...

We have to start from somewhere. We don't know which clans will take part - so we can't ask them today. Voting for a map is the best way to get things started somehow. :)

blackhawkfalled

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:21 pm

Can we Chinese CLAN Tieba & Shark take part in the event? If you have further information, can you PM me ? :D

himapapa

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:36 pm

blackhawkfalled wrote:Can we Chinese CLAN Tieba & Shark take part in the event? If you have further information, can you PM me ? :D

Just tell how many players of your clan you would join the matches. When all preparations are done, you and all participating clans will be informed. :)
Last edited by himapapa on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”