WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
Rodney
Contact: Website WLM Yahoo Messenger AOL Facebook Skype Twitter YouTube
Re: Banning at Rome / EA GUID

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:23 pm

Bruce Lee wrote:CoD has many faults but at least it has proper spectating and a legitimately accurate banning system

lol, "proper spectating" and "legitimately accurate banning", lolnope.

Even CS:GO doesn't have proper spectating (16-Tick, argh) and it's already better than in CoD.
Both use VAC bans, but they aren't better or worse than Punkbuster when it comes to banning.
(Detection is another thing)
There used to be a signature here.

Bruce Lee

Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:31 am

Rodney wrote:lol, "proper spectating" and "legitimately accurate banning", lolnope.

Your mockery of simple facts is fairly amusing but let me try to clarify it even further, although I think most people already understand the painfully obvious logic.

CoD4 is an example of a game that has the tools to identify and record undeniable proof of cheaters since it has both spectating and demo recording capabilities built into the game engine. On the other hand, BC2 has neither spectating nor demo recording.
Without the hard evidence of a demo, bans in BC2 can't be based on anything more solid than guessing whether a player is cheating.

As I said before, I actually welcome the ability of server admins to issue capricious GUID bans since the short term harm they do will be supplanted by a long term benefit. Namely, those servers will get such a bad reputation that they will soon be empty and new servers will take their place.

Give a fool enough rope and eventually he will hang himself.
I say let the fools hang themselves and the decent people can go back to having fun. ;)
"The world is like a big circus and the crooked businessmen and their puppet politicians are the biggest clowns in the show." -Anon.

Kerrigan

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:56 am

Bruce Lee wrote:CoD4 is an example of a game that has the tools to identify and record undeniable proof of cheaters since it has both spectating and demo recording capabilities built into the game engine

True. At least you can see aimbots and WHs if you're looking for it good enough.

Tickrate doesn't matter when the player model does a 180 spin + headshot or whatnot in 0.3 seconds...

amirhossein

Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:19 pm

I Think Banning IP & Mac Address Would Be Much Better

RobbingHood

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:47 pm

amirhossein wrote:I Think Banning IP & Mac Address Would Be Much Better

So you can bypass the ban in roughly 5 minutes? Yeaaahh

Bruce Lee

Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:22 pm

All bans are bad when they are not based on evidence.

No spectating = No proof = Bans based on nothing but blind guessing.

Banning players for cheating when there is no hard evidence will inevitably result in false positives.
A temporary ban is bad enough in that situation, but I guarantee that if you start handing out hardware bans
to innocent people you will kill this game very quickly.
"The world is like a big circus and the crooked businessmen and their puppet politicians are the biggest clowns in the show." -Anon.

Return to “General Discussion”